At Samaritan's Purse, we believe that raising healthy, loving families is one of the most effective ways to fight poverty and create strong, stable communities.
But in many developing countries today, millions of families are in crisis and really struggling each day to survive.
• 1.3 billion people live in extreme poverty on less than 80p a day
• 870 million people go hungry every day
• Farmers cannot afford seed to plant the crops that could feed their families. Others have no land, safe water or the practical skills to lay the foundations to build a secure future for their families
• In 2009, over 31 million children of primary school age in Sub-Saharan Africa were denied the chance of an education
• In 2011, 6.9 million children aged under five died from these preventable diseases – that's almost 13 children dying needlessly every minute
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress…
James 1:27 (NIV)
Raising Families brings hope
Building on over 15 years' experience of assisting needy families, Raising Families works because we train volunteers in local churches across Central Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa to take families to a sustainable future within three years. By pooling skills and resources, the church brings hope to families and provides physical and spiritual help in the following ways:
• Ensuring families have shelter • Planting crops to provide nutritious food • Providing access to clean safe water • Starting a business to generate income and savings • Providing access to healthcare • Teaching good hygiene to keep life threatening disease at bay • Helping to pay for school fees, uniforms, supplies and transport to school • Fellowship and prayer support
How you can help
Unlike traditional ‘sponsorship’ programmes, Raising Families ensures no long-term dependency on donors; families are taken to a sustainable future within three years.
But there’s more. Donors rightly expect us to make every penny count, to maximise the impact of their giving. So, with Raising Families we have chosen to work through trained volunteers from local churches instead of paid field staff and we have reduced ‘administration’ costs, such as creating profiles, sending photographs and providing regular reports about the individual family. We have also worked with local Churches and communities to contribute their own assets, giving them ownership and dignity and cutting dependence.
This is why we can do all that we do for families for just £10 a month!
Whatever you can afford to give, either through Direct Debit or as a single gift at this time, you can be sure that you are investing in the future of families – whether headed up by a child, a single parent, a Grandparent or a Mum and Dad – and releasing them from the chains of poverty.
You can get involved!
Take the first step today by signing up to give by Direct Debit or make a one off gift , and let God use your gifts to invest in the future of families.
Become a Raising Families Advocate and help to encourage churches, community groups and associated individuals to get involved in this very effective campaign. For more information click here.
Family is God’s dream – prepare to be challenged by God’s word and real life stories. Take your church on an exciting journey of rediscovering God’s dream for the family. Order your Interactive Bible Study Guide here!
Hold a ‘My Promise’ Auction of Promises Event! Use the gifts and talents within your church and local community to mirror the activities of churches and communities overseas, to help lift families out of poverty. Click here to find out how to run your Auction of Promises Event.
Make Raising Families part of your Harvest Festival celebration! Order your Harvest resources here.
Meeting critical needs of victims of war, poverty, famine, disease and natural disaster while sharing the good news of Jesus Christ.
Bible Study Guide